The Mihulka Tower was built in the late 15th century, as part of enhancing Prague Castle’s fortifications – together with the Daliborka and White Towers. Commissioned by King Vladislav and built by the architect Benedikt Ried, all these 3 towers are situated along the northern side of the Castle, overlooking the Stag Moat.
Its curious name comes from the cylindrical shape of the tower, which resembles a lamprey-fish (mihulemi in Czech). With 20 meters in diameter, Mihulka was actually the largest of Prague Castle cannon towers, but its defence qualities were never put to test.
In 1541, the tower was totally destroyed by a fire and had to be rebuilt from scratch. This was successfully undertaken by the famous metal-founder Tomáš Jaroš, who also worked on the Zikmund Bell in St. Vitus Cathedral and the Singing Fountain in the Royal Garden. He used Mihulka as both his workshop and home.
During the reign of Emperor Rudolf II, it became the hideaway of alchemists, who tried to create miracles such as obtaining gold from lead. Later on, a gunpowder storage was placed here, but after a major explosion (for unknown reasons) these contents were removed from the tower.
In the late 20th century, Mihulka underwent some renovation and now houses a permanent exhibition called "From the Royal Cohort to the Presidential Castle Guards of Today".